June 5, 2019
Assuring the Safety & Competency of our Next Generation Workforce - A Case Study
Daryl Brister, Director, Shea Capability & Compliance Solutions, LLC
We’ll take a look at an industry best practice case study, involving formal workplace knowledge & performance assessments by a major O&G company here in the US. The case study will look at the 5 main outcomes and the results of this investment by the company.
- Establishing a formal competency management system that provided competency standards for each job role in the facility.
- Use of 3rd party trained and qualified discipline assessors who followed the approved company competency standards to conduct the initial baseline assessments.
- Knowledge & performance gaps identified before startup of the new facility, allowing for additional training, coaching in the workplace and reassessment to confirm skills gaps were closed.
- 100% verification on all baseline assessments for each technician to confirm the 3rd party assessors.
- Identified skills gap trends, which allowed enhanced training in those areas; Improved performance, which equated into higher run time of the facility; technicians improved attitudes toward personal learning and development.