June 5, 2018
Lessons Learned: How to Maintain the Corporate Memory
Speaker: Jerry Forest, Global Process Safety Manager, Celanese
Corporate memory seems to have a half-life of about 10 years. In order to deeply embed the lessons learned from past incidents Celanese has developed a process safety lessons learned program. The premise is that people retain past lessons when the story is frequently repeated. Our program targets several segments:
- High quality videos of the major incidents that have defined how and why we do process safety
- PS Rules (Process Safety Rules): Technology specific process safety rules that define by technology, the critical few incidents that could occur and what mitigations are in place to prevent
- Event Sharing: A comprehensive catalog of all Tier 1and Tier 2 process safety incidents that have occurred at all Celanese sites since 2010.
- Industry Learnings: A catalog of resources with learnings from industry incidents that are applicable to Celanese Annual Lessons Learned Book
- A compilation of lessons learned and a pathway to improved performance for the previous year.
Celanese was the American Chemistry Council’s 2015 runner up for initiative of the year, and CEFIC’s 2016 responsible care winner for this program.